Thursday, May 2, 2019

Week 86 in LA--Happy Birthday!!

Zach called again this week (yay) which was great because it was his birthday!! He called in the morning to let me know that he had lost his debit card 😲. He called the credit union and had it cancelled which was a good thing. Matt was able to stop by a branch and get him a new card and I sent it off in the mail yesterday. Whew!! 

He told me that he got his birthday party in a box that I sent and it was well received by all. Elder Seipel made him a cake, which he accidentally dropped, but then recovered and made a new one. Zach's companion sent out a text to the entire zone that it was his birthday so they all got together and had a little party for him with 2 cakes. Zach said that he got cake smashed in his face and that there is a video of it. He also said he would send it to me but..........😂😂 

Then, Julie and Olivia (members from the Wilshire Ward) drove up to his area (which is not a short drive) and took him and his companion to dinner at a nice Korean BBQ restaurant. They also took him some birthday donuts (delish). While at dinner, Julie sent me a video chat so the girls and I were able to see him on his big day. LOVED that!!!! Julie is amazing and we are so grateful for her and Olivia!!

Zach went on exchanges with one of the presidents assistants. Matt and I received an email from him that I will post here (I literally opened the email at work and was bawling like a baby). 

Hi Cox family!

This is Elder Messick. I'm a Missionary here in Los Angeles, and I had the opportunity to spend 24 hours with your son this last week.

I was super impressed with him. He is so cool! So I decided to ask for his parents' email, because you guys deserve to know what kind of a Missionary he is.

His teaching skills are unrivalled. He teaches so simply and bears such a powerful Testimony. His words carry all the power and authority you'd expect from a Servant and Ambassador of Jesus Christ. When he speaks, people listen.

We taught this one guy named Bruce who is typically pretty difficult to deal with, but as Elder Cox bore his Testimony on the Restoration you could see Bruce's ears perk up and his heart soften. It was such a Spiritual experience for all 3 of us.

Your son is also super easy to get along with. I loved talking with him. He's so friendly and amiable. That'll take him far in life. I go on lots of 24 hour exchanges, and not every Missionary is quite like that.

Thanks for sharing your son with us. I know it's not easy, but he's such a valuable Missionary. I wish we had more Missionaries like him.

I'm not sure what you did to raise such a spectacular son, but you definitely did something right. Just thought you'd like to know that.

Have a great week!

-Elder Messick 

WOW!! As a parent, this meant everything and I will cherish it forever!! I am so happy to know that other people can see in Zach what we always have. He is pretty darn amazing!!

Zach said that Ted is still doing good and that they were meeting with him again on Tuesday. Zach stays plenty busy with all of the driving they do and all of the meetings they go to and that's a good thing!!


Zach is still really struggling with being able to sleep. He is only getting a few short hours a night and it is really taking a toll on him. He has been taking Melatonin but I don't think it's helping much. I gave him a few more ideas to try so we'll see how it goes. 


Julie took several pictures and a video of his birthday night so enjoy!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment